COURSE OBJECTIVES: The major objective of the course is to provide the students with necessary information on strategic management theories and techniques drawing their attention to how these theories and tools can be applied in the Turkish construction industry. Fundamental course objectives can be listed as follows;
- Introduction of strategic management theories (Porter, Mintzberg, Teece etc.) and techniques for successful management of construction companies.
- Presentation of a general overview of the Turkish construction industry, analysis of competitive environment, investigation of strategies used by the Turkish contractors in domestic and international markets using case studies.
- Improving students literature surveying, oral presentation and report writing skills by class discussions as well as report writing assignments.
|1||Introduction to concept of strategy|
|2||Introduction to strategic management: Definitions, strategic management framework, competitive advantage etc.|
|3||Strategic positioning : The environment|
|4||Strategic positioning: Strategic Capability, Resource-Based View, Dynamic capabilities|
|5||Strategic choice: Competitive strategies, market strategies/diversification|
|7||Internationalisation: Porter’s diamond framework|
|8||Strategic planning: Organising for strategy, governance|
|9-10||Decision support tools and methods for strategic decision-making|
|11-13||Presentation of term projects and class discussions|
|14||Strategic integration – Overall evaluation of presentations and discussion on integrated management activities within construction companies|
Assignments : 30%
Term project : 35%
Final exam : 35%
- Langford, D. and Male, S., (2001) Strategic Management in Construction, Blackwell Science, UK.
- Tah, J.H.M. and Howes, R., (2003) Strategic Management Applied to International Construction, Thomas telford Publishing, UK.
- Johnson, G. and Scholes, K., (2002) Exploring Corporate Strategy, 6th edition, Prentice Hall, USA.
- Grant, R. M. (1997), Contemporary Strategy Analysis, 2nd edition, Blackwell Publishers, Oxford, UK.
- Mintzberg, H., Quinn, James Brian, (1998) Readings in the Strategy Process, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.
- Porter, M. E. (1998) , Competitive Strategy: Techniques for analyzing industries and competitors , 2nd edition, The Free Press, New York, USA.
- Porter, M. E. (1998), The Competitive Advantage of Nations, 11th edition, Macmillan Press Limited, London, UK.
- Stacey, R.D. (1996), Strategic Management and Organisational Dynamics, 2nd edition, Pitman, London.
- Thompson, A.A., Stickland, A.J. (1995), Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases, 8th edition, Irwin, Chicago, USA.
- Bennett, R. (1999), Corporate Strategy, Financial Times Professional Limited, 2nd edition, London, UK.
- Mintzberg, H. (1994), The Rise and Fall of the Strategic Planning, The Free Press, USA.
- Lavender, S. (1996), Management for the Construction Industry, Addison Wesley Longman Limited, London, UK.